Friday, January 29, 2010

Girls just want to have fun..



I saw this photograph and it made me giggle. Don't you just want to be those girls? I'm not quite sure if there is anything more delightful than good girlfriends. They are your bodyguards, your back-up dancers, your biggest fans. I have been blessed with unbelievable circles of female friends since childhood. As you know, it's sometimes challenging to maintain meaningful friendships. Feelings like jealousy, envy, self-interest often rear their ugly heads. It's natural, we all deal with those emotions whether your 12 or 52. But you get beyond them, realizing your friendships are more important. And they are, I assure you.

And cliques? Don't get me started. Why exclude a potentially brilliant friendship because of some silly agreement you have with other girls? Ladies, let's make a deal--start INCLUDING, make the effort. It's amazing what a new friend can bring to your "sundae". You'll only be better for it.

I didn't always think this way.

I learned this the hard way when my "Best Friends Forever" club was closed down in Kindergarten. I had created a club of my nearest and dearest and wouldn't let others join. I know, horrible, isn't it? We had badges and everything-I still have the 3-ring binder for it. Looking back, I'm so glad my teachers had the insight to stop the madness. Now I regret not making it a huge, school-wide alliance for all the girls. Think of how cool that would have been! All of us, wearing our own badges, joining forces rather than breaking down. It would have been so amazing! It's one of my biggest regrets in the world. It must be why I'm so passionate about this movement. I refuse to let another opportunity to unite pass me by.

Any stories on new friendships? I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment