Monday, February 1, 2010

Our very first flavor!

My extraordinarily sparkly friend, Kate, wrote:

"My flavor: Strawberry
Everyday elegance
Sweet, smart and refreshing in a slightly old-fashioned way...
Like an afternoon social when you're wearing your favorite dress - but you'll end up sprawled out on the grass with friends and your pretty shoes long gone.

Yes, I am Strawberry. "

Isn't this fantastic?

There is something marvelous about looking forward to something. Don't you agree? With all the instant gratification out there, last minute plans are made and broken without so much as a nod of acknowledgement. Dates with my friend Kate, however, are diligently planned to avoid such catastrophes. As a result, I end up seeing her more than I do other friends. Writing a "where and when" into my schedule automatically makes it a priority. I make it happen.

The subject of keeping up friendships has been weighing on me the last few days. It must be why I chose to feature Kate's contribution.

I've never wanted any "fair weather" friends in my life. I want "crappy weather" friends. I want friends who will be there for me when I'm struggling and need support the most. And luckily, I have them. What I'm learning is that friendships like that need upkeep.

It seems so simple.

But I am guilty of taking these rare relationships for granted, assuming they'll stay healthy without nourishment. It is not so. And ultimately I know that my friendships deserve more.

Today I vow to let my dear friends know what they mean to me. I intend to fill my schedule with those who feed my soul. I challenge you to do the same. Let's all channel out inner strawberry and make happen the "where's" and "when's" necessary to keep our friendships whole.

1 comment:

  1. My flavor:
    Dark Chocolate Dipped Coffee Ice Cream Cone
    A strong outer shell that protects the "softie" inside.

    ReplyDelete